Everything in my pregnancy had been going great. The doctor was doing routine growth scans every month starting around 24 weeks. My blood pressure had started to climb, but was well within the range of normal around 30-32 weeks. So the doctor ordered Non-Stress Tests (NSTs) 2 times a week. Those were done at the hospital as outpatient monitoring. They'd hook me up to the monitors where they look at baby's heart rate, contractions and blood pressure for about 30 minutes. They also did amniotic fluid measurements every week. Every time I passed the NSTs and the fluid levels were always 9-11. Due to miscommunication between the hospitals admitting department, the insurance company and billing, it was costing us $100 every NST visit, even though insurance was supposed to cover it 100%. That's way too much to pay for precautionary testing, so my doctor switched the NSTs to Biophysical Profiles (BPPs) which are ultrasounds they can do in the doctor's office where they look at baby's breathing, baby's movements (tone), cord dopplers looking at flow through the umbilical cord, images of the placenta, and amniotic fluid measurements. The weekend of my 36th week I had a few high blood pressure readings at home, so I took it easy, drank lots of fluids and the numbers went back to normal. But on Friday, Feb. 8, at my 37 week appointment, my doctor wanted to do at least weekly NSTs in addition to the BPPs. So we planned to keep my Monday BPP , because it was a growth scan in addition to the BPP, and then Thursday (Valentine's Day) I'd go get an NST.
Monday, February 11, I went to work and made my to do list for the week of everything I needed to tie up before the following week when my c-section was scheduled. I had my appointment mid morning at 10:45am, I figured I'd get lunch on my way back to work. The tech started with fluid measurements and I noticed she quickly moved on. Did the rest of the measurements which all looked good and remeasured the fluid. Normally there was a big pocket of fluid somewhere, but she couldn't find it anywhere. She even had to get baby to turn and move and still couldn't find it. She told me the fluid level was 4, when normally it was 9-11. She sent me out to the waiting room while she talked to my doctor. My doctor called me back to a room and said that if the fluid had been 5-6 I could have gone on bed rest. But given my history of pre-eclampsia in my previous pregnancy, my current escalating blood pressure, and the condition of the placenta - it was safer to just get to the hospital today and get baby out.
I ran around trying to take care of everything. I ran to my parents house to figure out what to do with Ryleigh. My mom had just had oral surgery that morning so my dad was at home taking care of her. We decided we'd bring Ryleigh over to their house on our way to the hospital and they'd keep her until we got home from the hospital. I called Chris who had to tie up all his loose ends at work. I ran back to work to get my work bag and pick up anything I think I'd need. I also called in my disability which I was going to do when I got back from my doctor appointment. I ran home, picked up Ryleigh and we packed my bag, her bag, and baby's bag. Then we waited for Chris to get home. Then we dropped off Ryleigh at my parents and headed to the hospital.
We got to L&D and they were waiting for us. I changed into my lovely hospital gown. I got hooked up to monitors. I talked to the OB who'd be delivering me. I talked to the anesthesiologist. Chris changed into his lovely paper scrubs.
And then we waited for it to be time. I'd eaten at 8am, had water until 11am, so we had to wait until 5pm for my surgery. At 5pm we walked back to the OR. I got a spinal block. Then they got me prepped and ready to start. Chris was allowed to come in once I was draped.
When it was time to get baby out, they lowered the curtain like I'd asked. Once he was out, they held him over my chest so I could get a good look at him before they took him over to the warmer. I was so happy I got to see him when he came out, I cried. I was so out of it when Ryleigh was born, I didn't really experience her birth. It was a completely different experience this time around.
Baby boy being born.
In the warmer in the OR getting checked out by the NICU team. The NICU team attends all c-section births. He was a healthy 37 weeker with a nice healthy cry. His pose in this photo reminds me of the one of Ryleigh on the scale right after she was born.
Daddy holding baby boy. This is similar to when they were sitting next to me in the OR when I was being closed up.
He weighed in at 7 pounds 4oz and was 20 inches long, Apgars were 9/9. For comparison, Ryleigh was 7 pounds 13oz and 19 inches long.
While I was being closed up and taken to recovery, baby and Chris went to the nursery to be monitored and cleaned up. The nursery had these big windows where family members can see their new babies. This photo was taken by Ryleigh of her new baby brother :) You can see the reflection of her big sister shirt in the window.
 |
| From Round 2 |
Proof that Ryleigh was the photographer - little finger in the photo.
In the nursery
Lots of people asked how accurate the 3D/4D ultrasounds are. Here's a comparison of the ultrasound I had at 33 weeks to his birth photo.
And we definitely think that Hayden looks like Ryleigh when she was born. Ryleigh is on the left, Hayden is on the right. Bottom lip is a little different, and jaw line is slightly different. But overall they look a lot alike.
 |
| From Round 2 |
Ryleigh meeting her baby brother :) My family saw me being transported up to my post partum room after my stay in recovery. They rode the elevator up with me and as soon as I was settled in my room they were allowed to come in. Ryleigh immediately ran over to me to make sure I was okay, then she wanted to see her brother. She is such a proud big sister.
First family photo as a family of 4
 |
| From Round 2 |
It was neat that my entire family was able to be there. Last time my parents were there, which I was grateful for. But this time it was so neat to see my brothers and Kristin who all drove across town for the birth of their nephew. That really meant a lot to me.
My mom made it in her post surgery stupor to meet her grandson.
Uncle Cory got the honor of being the first one to be pooped on. And my dad caught it on video. I need to get that video from him.
Uncle Chris.
And Soon-to-be Aunt Kristin. We have bets going on whether or not Kristin will be Hayden's favorite person too.
The next day, my parents brought Ryleigh by the hospital. She couldn't wait to hold her baby brother again.
Day 3 and he finally has a name. Chris and I had JUST talked about names literally a day or two before he was born. We figured we had time. We also figured we'd know when he was born what his name should be, just like we did with Ryleigh. We don't pick out the final name until after we meet baby. We both feel that the name may not fit who the baby is, and you can't know that until after you meet them. We both had made our lists. We both wrote down our lists, and vetoed names on each other's lists. We had finally narrowed it down to 3. In the hospital, it took a while for any of the three names to really seem like they worked for baby. I know people think that it was some top secret plot against them by not telling them what his name was. But really we didn't know. It took us until the 5pm on Wednesday night when the Birth Certificate people called to decide on a name.
Thursday morning (Valentine's Day) Hayden came back from his final tests with a new hat from the night nurses. He was all pretty ready to go home.
All buckled in ready to go home!
We're all settling in as a family of 4. Hayden is a very laid back baby. He is breastfeeding like a champ - no issues at all with that. He actually takes a pacifier, but he's pretty particular about which ones. He loves to be swaddled at night, something Ryleigh HATED. And he sleeps fantastic, especially at night. He lets us get about 4 hours plus between wakings at night. Couldn't ask for a better baby. So in love with my little cuddle bug!!
No comments:
Post a Comment