Thursday, June 19, 2014

Tinkerbell 10K 2014

My first half marathon was the runDisney Tinker Bell Half Marathon. It was a great race, course was overall pretty good, but I spent most of the race worrying about my time, where Chris was on the course, how long everyone was waiting for me... So I really didn't soak it all in. I was sad I missed the second race due to being pregnant since that meant I was going to lose the ability to earn "Legacy" status. So when I heard they were adding a 10K for 2014 - I was super excited. Another inaugural race to try to get "Legacy" at!

My mom had seen many women of all ages cross the finish line at the Tinker Bell half that first year and realized that she too could do it. With the run/walk technique - it was possible. Since Hayden was born, we did a lot of walking together, mostly because it helped my mom's knees. Most of our walks were between 4-6 miles. Granted we weren't walking the required 16min/mile or less, but we knew we could go the distance pushing a BOB duallie. So we signed up to do the race together.

My mom has had a lot of knee trouble in the past 5 years. She had surgery on both knees already to clean them both out and repair some damage. And now she is bone on bone in both knees, and needs at least one knee if not both knees replaced. She got through the race with knee injections, powerful anti-inflammatories, and KT Tape with a knee sleeve. I was proud of her for committing to do the race in the first place, and even prouder when she crossed the finish line with me (especially given how the race went)!

Gotta start off the Tink weekend with the Expo. I told Ryleigh I would get her one of the Bondi Band Headbands again. She found a princess one with a crown made out of butterfly wings. Super cute for a TinkerBell race!
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
That night we got our outfits ready to go! Had to lay out Ryleigh's outfit because Chris was going to have to get her ready since I was already at my race.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
My mom and I had to get up early to walk to the start line. I think we left the hotel around 5 or 5:15am and got in the corrals around 5:30. We were really close to the start of our corral (I was actually in Corral C and my mom was in D, so I went back to be with her - no idea how they did corral assignments for this race and given what I've found out through my Facebook Tinkerbell 1/2 marathon page - no one has been able to figure that out.) 

We needed a picture together before the race! So we attempted a selfie... Obviously we're amateurs.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
So we tried again... Same result lol... That's the Paradise Pier Hotel in the background.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
Finally we could hear things getting started WAY WAY WAY In front of us. To give you an idea of HOW far in front of us - see as far as you can see behind us in the pictures above that's what it looked like ahead of us too... there was no indication of anything actually happening except for the booms and cheers as more people were starting. And typical sneaky Disney fashion, the start line is on Disneyland drive. We were at Disneyland drive and Paradise Way right in front of the Grand Californian. The start line is AFTER the bridge where Downtown Disney crosses Disneyland drive, so you have to go under the Downtown Disney bridge before you can see the start.

We didn't realize how close to the front of the corral we were. But they let Corral C go and then stopped us in Corral D and this is where we ended up.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
Right below the starting screen!!! And the guys who were announcing - they're actually right under that screen in the right hand corner of the picture. You can see the stage they're standing on below. 
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
I know it doesn't seem like it was that close, but trust me! It is close! We were basically under the Downtown Disney Bridge for the Half Marathon when our Corral got stopped, so this is WAY closer! 

Finally Tinker Bell made her appearance to release our Corral!!
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
GO! GO! GO!!
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
We run down the same streets going down Disneyland Drive and eventually going into the back lots.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
I love the backlots because you get to see so many cool things. Remember how last time I said I was just worried about my time. This time I took it all in, pointing things out to my mom along the way. We found the horticulture center, the repair area for the rollercoaster cars, the costume center... just a cool behind the scene view of Disneyland. 

There was Tiana's float for the parade.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
And Ariel's float.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
Always love seeing the train tooting away before we exit the backlots.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
Then we entered right by Small World. It was all lit up. 

Again, we tried a selfie... We've got to get better eventually!
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
Small World all lit up since it was still dark.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
I don't know what it is exactly that gets me, but there's something about passing the water rides at dawn with the water tumbling at full force, but the rides running empty. Get the same feeling passing Splash Mountain as I do passing the Raging River Rapids in CA Adventure. One of my favorite things to see along the course.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
There were characters of course - Buzz Lightyear in tomorrow land. We witnessed the true running spirit along the course. In Tomorrow land, a lady tripped and fell bad not far in front of us. Basically everyone around her stopped to make sure she was okay and help her up. She was okay, skinned up, but okay and she yelled at everyone to keep going and not stop just to help her. We made sure to tell some of the cast members along the course to get a medic to check her out.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
We didn't get to run through the castle on this race, but we had to take a castle picture!
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
Running down Main Street is full of Disney magic. Especially when no one else is there at dawn. It's just you and a bunch of other racers soaking in the pre-opening magic.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
Could actually get a shot in front of the train station without other people in the shot, or without having to wait in line!
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
After we exited Disneyland, we ran across the plaza to California Adventures. We were able to see my dad at the plaza. 

My mom hadn't been to CA Adventures in a LONG time - since way before they remodeled Buena Vista Street. So she soaked in all the new stuff along the entrance.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar


Can never get this shot either without LOTS of people in the way. Great photo op! 
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
Love seeing the sunrise over Paradise Pier! Beautiful!
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
This picture was for Ryleigh - Tower of Terror - her favorite ride!
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
My mom hadn't seen Cars Land either. And to see Cars land without a ton of people! Amazing.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar

So as we raced around Paradise Pier the 16 minute/mile pacer caught us. How the pacer is SUPPOSED to work, is that they are the LAST one to cross the start line with the LAST corral. They are supposed to maintain the 16m/mile pace and reach specific cut offs at the 16m/mile pace. Well from the info I've gathered from many runDisney communities I'm a part of, 1. she didn't cross the start line LAST. 2. She was going faster than the 16m/mi pace. So fast in fact that several people saw her stopped at the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. She caught up to us at the pier. We speed walked past her and felt safe that she was pretty far behind us when we got into Cars Land. Once we got to Cars Land it was a bottle neck. It was really tight to move anywhere, speed up, etc (as you can see from the picture above). The pacer was having trouble moving and was quite literally MOWING over people to "keep her pace".
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
We felt comfortable enough with the pacer behind us to take a few quick pictures with Lightning McQueen...
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
... and Red.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
And then we saw the pacer again. We speed walked/ jogged ahead of her as we approached the Tower of Terror, but again it was a bottle neck because as soon as you get passed Tower of Terror, there's a gate that you have to exit to go onto the streets. When we got out on the street we were 30-45 seconds ahead of pace.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
Within 2 minutes, the pacer was fast on our heels. So we SPED up - quick. We ran to get safely ahead of the pacer and then speed walked to maintain a 15:45min/mile pace according to runKeeper on my phone. And still the pacer caught back up to us!!! Remember she's supposed to be going 16 min/mile and she CAUGHT us and passed us! So how fast WAS she going?? 

By then my mom was frustrated and I was freaked out we were going to get swept. Basically if you aren't maintaining the 16 min/mile pace you get swept. I've learned that they basically close the course and anyone left on the course at that point, gets shuttled onto a bus/ van and taken to the finish line. So we were NOT going to be on those buses! My mom decided to run - bad knees and all. So we ran until we not only had passed the pacer again, but had left her in the dust. Basically we didn't feel safe still seeing her sign, we were just going to run until we couldn't see her sign anymore. We had to keep a 14:54 pace to avoid SEEING the pacers sign. Any slower and she sign came closer. 

We made it to the finish line together! And my mom's knees didn't give her too much trouble. I am so proud of her for keeping ahead of the pacer at any cost. I would love to do it again with her!
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
I've decided that I love this race! The distance isn't too long to get me bored or frustrated. The course is great! I love that we run through the parks almost the whole time so there's always something to keep your attention. I will definitely be back next year! And I'm vowing to RUN it next year - I'm going to try to aim for running the whole thing, but won't be disappointed if I have to take a few walk breaks - I mean you HAVE to stop for photos!!
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar

After our race ended it was time for the kids races. Ryleigh was disappointed we didn't sign her up for the kids race the first year. Actually I contemplated doing it, but by the time she showed interest, they were already sold out. So this year I made sure to get her in. 

Sporting her new headband and tutu!

From 2014 Jan Feb Mar
No idea what this is - it's what happens when you tell a tired 5 year old to go pose.
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar

Ryleigh did great in her race. They had the option for the parents to run with the kids or exit and meet them at the finish line - Ryleigh wanted me to run with her. She should have ran alone. She was FAST - I couldn't keep up. I told her not to look back for me and to just GO GO GO to the finish. It was a 200 meter dash - When I got her at the finish she said to me, "That's it! It's too short!" 

She decided at the Expo she wants the Peter Pan medal which is the 5K medal. I know she can do it, just need to get her consistent with running longer than a sprint. She can go into training with me next fall/ winter :) 

Overall it was a great weekend for all the girls in the family :) So proud of my mom and daughter!! Next year - family 5K?? and 10K for sure on Mother's Day weekend!
From 2014 Jan Feb Mar

No comments: